Saving Gold Threads

10 years 7 months ago #9561 by Kathryn Hole
Saving Gold Threads was created by Kathryn Hole
Hi,

Just wondering if there was a way to actually save our threads so that we can refer back to them at a later date.
Hopefully it is not too tricky.

Kathryn
The topic has been locked.
10 years 7 months ago #9606 by Natasha Gelfand
Replied by Natasha Gelfand on topic Saving Gold Threads
There are two ways to save your threads.

The easiest is to just save the webpages. Go to File->Save Page in your browser, enter the location on your hard drive where you want the thread saved, and select something like "Web page, complete" (if your browser has that option). If your thread is more than one page, do that for each page. This will make a local copy of the thread on your hard drive, which you can open with your web browser at a later time.

You can also print the page to PDF, which is a little more tricky (and more OS-dependent).Recent versions of MacOS and Windows come with a print to pdf option already, otherwise you might have to download a separate program (people suggested CutePDF or PrimoPDF). Go to print the page, and instead of selecting the printer, select the PDF option, which will create a file on your hard drive.

-Natasha
10 years 3 months ago #27208 by Deborah Grodecka
Replied by Deborah Grodecka on topic Saving Gold Threads
For whatever it is worth, I have also saved threads to MS Word on my hard drive through a simple copy and paste... from the forum webpage (select all/copy) to a Word doc (paste). It saves the videos as you tube links. It's rather "down and dirty," but it does save the content for later reference.
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #27209 by Deborah Grodecka
(I've moved this question to another thread)
10 years 3 months ago #27217 by Cindy Cerne
Replied by Cindy Cerne on topic Saving Gold Threads
You brought up some great info, Deborah, thanks. I never thought to go back and check all the files and threads I saved last night. I was so pleased to find the shortcuts. Control & S, twice, and page is saved as a Web archive. I will check in the morning. Thanks!
10 years 2 months ago #27219 by Deborah Grodecka
So glad it was helpful to you, Cindy. We are always so happy to save time!! :-)
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #65141 by Rick Pisani
Replied by Rick Pisani on topic Saving Gold Threads
HI Natasha,

I am have a Mac and the Maverick OS. I can see the threads as a Web Achieve but can't open them. Any suggestions other than the PDF?

False alarm, I figured it out. Sorry!

Thanks,

Rick
9 years 6 months ago #65180 by Lee Hartfield
Replied by Lee Hartfield on topic Saving Gold Threads
The best thing I've found for saving threads and such is Evernote you can highlight the text you want to save and use Evernote Web Clipper to save it. I use it for all my online courses.
9 years 6 months ago #69536 by Ana Cilursu
Replied by Ana Cilursu on topic Saving Gold Threads
So glad I found this !!! Not sure why I thought our individual threads were saved in our Library !!!!
So I have none from prior classes :<(

Natasha: is there any way to retrieve them?

Thanks in advance - I now know how to save my current forum threads !
9 years 6 months ago #69573 by Natasha Gelfand
Hi Ana,

Sorry, I archive the forums after the session is over, so there's no way to restore them at this point.

-Natasha
9 years 6 months ago #69585 by Ana Cilursu
Replied by Ana Cilursu on topic Saving Gold Threads
OK - thanks for replying.
I will certainly save the threads from now on !!!
9 years 6 months ago #69730 by Jacqueline Ruediger
Replied by Jacqueline Ruediger on topic Saving Gold Threads
Maybe someone from your prior classes saved all threads and you can get it. What classes do you search?
9 years 4 months ago #83096 by Tammie Smart
Replied by Tammie Smart on topic Saving Gold Threads
This is my first online class...Im wondering if I save my gold page as a web page will it be available forever..even once the class has been archived ? I have a mac too. Would love to figure out how to save the homework thread..
9 years 4 months ago #83179 by Natasha Gelfand
Hi Tammie,

Yes if you save your thread on your computer (every page of it, it it's longer than one page), it will stay there after the end of the class. Take a look at the instructions on the Help Page, there are several different ways of doing it.
9 years 4 months ago #83727 by Robin Sweetapple
Replied by Robin Sweetapple on topic Saving Gold Threads
I followed previous advice and by pushing Control S, it worke, copy and paste works to.