unwanted behaviors at source

9 years 3 days ago #128805 by Melissa Raney
unwanted behaviors at source was created by Melissa Raney
Hi folks. I'm a Silver working with my 2 year old Belgian Malinois, Mera. She's doing pretty well with the homework so far, but I'm wondering how to deal with (presumably) unwanted behaviors at the source, such as pawing or biting. I've been using GladWare containers with punctured lids for vents, and when she's checking them out (and especially when she finds the right one), she's keen to paw it or pick it up in her mouth.

Is this something I should deal with now or just wait until later when the scent behavior is more solid? If now, what should I do to discourage it?

Thanks!

Melissa & Mera

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 3 days ago #128812 by Melissa Raney
Replied by Melissa Raney on topic unwanted behaviors at source
Oh - I think I found my answer in someone else's homework! You commented on another thread to "ignore that behavior and just wait for NO pawing/tossing to feed." I think that's largely the answer I was looking for, but if there's any other coaching in that area, I'd appreciate it!

9 years 3 days ago - 8 years 10 months ago #128835 by Julie Symons
Replied by Julie Symons on topic unwanted behaviors at source
That's right Melissa. At the beginning it's getting in quicker to minimize unwanted behavior (easier said then done) and then only rewarding when those behaviors are not being exhibited. So you do want to deal with it now.

You can also try and control your environment. Weigh down your containers. Use uncommon containers like bricks. Elevate the containers like I just posted in recent lecture. Those should all help.

And this is all balanced with still needing to get reward history at source without adding unnecessary confusion/frustration for the dog.

Great question.

Moderators: Mariah HindsCarly LoyerAshley Deacon